Ubuntu 9.10 Post Installation To-Do List

November 10, 2009 by
Filed under: HowTo, linux, Ubuntu

Install video drivers

If required/desired, install hardware specific video drivers (nVidia or ATI). Go to System?Administration?Hardware Drivers and enable the drivers for your video card. You will need to reboot to make this take affect.

Install Flash plugin

Install one of flashplugin-installer, swfdec-mozilla, or mozilla-plugin-gnash.
First enable the multiverse repository. Go to System?Administration?Software Sources. Make sure the check boxes for main, universe, restricted, and multiverse are selected.

Enable the multiverse repository

While you're in there, select the Other Software tab and enable the partner repository. Now that multiverse is enabled, you can install the Flash plugin.

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Set up fan control

This is probably not necessary for most people, but if your fans are annoyingly loud, you may be able to set up automatic can control.

Enable multimedia codecs from Medibuntu

To enable the Medibuntu repositories, paste the following four lines into a terminal and hit <Enter>.

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list &&
sudo apt-get -q update &&
sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring &&
sudo apt-get -q update

Once the Medibuntu repository is enabled, you can browse the available packages for Karmic and click the links to install through Firefox. Or you can install packages through apt-get. For example,

sudo apt-get install non-free-codecs libdvdcss2 googleearth

Enable the Gnome Configuration Editor menu item

Right click on the main menu and select Edit Menus. Select System Tools on the left side and then check the box next to Configuration Editor.

Edit the System Tools Menu

Edit the System Tools Menu

Turn off the annoying Update Manager auto-launch

Open the Configuration Editor by going to Applications?System Tools?Configuration Editor. Expand the apps section on the left side and scroll down to select update-notifier. Uncheck the box for auto_launch.

Disable The Update Notifier Auto-Launch

Disable The Update Notifier Auto-Launch

After making this change you will still get the update notifications in the Notification Area.

Update Manager Notification

Update Manager Notification

What other crucial items do you install on a fresh Ubuntu installation? Let me know in the comments.

Comments

13 Responses to “Ubuntu 9.10 Post Installation To-Do List”

1. t0ka7a says:

I was bored to install again and again my preferred softwares each time I reinstalled Ubuntu. So, next step, I created a post-installation script infondlinux https://code.google.com/p/infondlinux/

It gives a model to personnalize user's own script. It is opensource and is security oriented.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check that out. I did a fresh install of 10.04 recently and haven't gotten around to installing all of the Medibuntu goodies. Maybe I'll try the infondlinux script for that.

2. The help offered on this site is secon-to-none. REAL step-by-step instructions that actually work! The install and set-up LAMP was simply invaluable (and so was the un-install - for fresh re-installs). Thank you so! much again - you know your stuff.

Thanks for the kind comment. I does take a good bit of work to document a comprehensive tutorial, so it's nice to be recognized.

3. Ryan says:

What should I be looking at doing before I install ubuntu9.10 over my last distribution. I cant help but think that things like my firefox bookmarks and passwords into everyday ordinary sites will be lost. what folders are best to backup, what else?

Ryan - If you are doing an upgrade from 9.04, I've never had a problem: you shouldn't need to backup anything. That being said, the easiest thing would be to backup your entire /home/userid folder. That would make sure you have a backup of everything in case something goes wrong during the upgrade.

Of course, if you're doing a fresh install the same backup would be useful.

For Firefox bookmarks, you can use the backup feature that you find under Organize Bookmarks to export a backup file.

4. [...] Ubuntu 9.10 Post Installation To-Do List Viele dieser Schritt kann man sich mit Linux Mint sparen, da diese Funktionalitäten out-of-the-box dabei sind. [...]

5. mazyayan says:

Thanks for the tips. installing multimedia codecs and flash player are the most important things to me to do first. My graphic card is intel,so desktop-effect will work without any effort.

6. [...] a shoet list of things to do after you have installed the latest version of Ubuntu. More here Install video drivers If required/desired, install hardware specific video drivers (nVidia or ATI). [...]

7. Story added...

This story has been submitted to fsdaily.com! If you think this story should be read by the free software community, come vote it up and discuss it here:

8. Veovis Muad'dib says:

My apologies for the double whammy.

I also make sure to run
    $sudo passwd
    as soon as it's installed. I like su and don't like people being able to go into recovery mode, backup my shadow files, run
    #passwd veovis
    do some malicious thing, and then restore my shadow files so I never know they were there. I find that to be a huge security hole, and I'm not sure why, even if we can't easily get into the root account, it isn't passworded by default. But I digress.

Veovis - Thanks for the tips. I especially like the one for setting the root password. I've always thought it strange that one could reboot into a recovery console and completely destroy the system as root without having to input a password.

9. Veovis Muad'dib says:

I always run the following, whenever I install for other people:

#apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Personally, since I can figure out dependencies myself, I install one by one. But it is helpful for new users.

#apt-get install vlc ifuse singularity
    is about all I run immediately on a fresh install. A repo has to be added for ifuse, but still.