Install HandBrake on Linux Mint 13

July 29, 2012 by
Filed under: HowTo, linux, Linux Mint, video

HandBrake is a program for transcoding video files. By default it transcodes video to H.264 format, so the files get compressed to a reasonable size while retaining high audio and video quality. There are versions available for Windows, OSX, and Linux. In this post I'm going to show how to install it in Linux Mint 13 using an Ubuntu PPA (Personal Package Archive).

Add the HandBrake PPA to your software sources

Use the following command to modify your software sources to include HandBrake.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases

Enter your password if prompted to do so.

The terminal will then display a message with a little bit of information about Handbrake. Hit <ENTER> to continue. The PPA will now be added to your apt sources and the package signing key will be added to your trusted list.

Now that the HandBrake PPA is added to your sources list, you need to update your package database.

sudo apt-get update

Install HandBrake

With your package database updated, you can now install HandBrake.

sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk

You should now be able to find HandBrake in the Linux Mint menu (both MATE and Cinnamon editions) under Sound & Video -> HandBrake.

HandBrake on Mint 13

Comments

11 Responses to “Install HandBrake on Linux Mint 13”

1. Linq says:

Doesn't work in my Linux Mint 15 Olivia. Any suggestions please? Thank you!

2. zolar1 says:

sudo apt-get download handbrake-gtk

Haven't tried using it for offline install, but worth a shot. You have to do this after doing the above procedures on how to get it.

I have a box I want to put it on that isn't connected to the internet.

I wish Linux had a download GUI to get packages for offline installation....

Oh, and one that lets you select the download directory with point and click.

I can't seem to remember all these special commands to do much. GUI's are perfect for me :-)

3. Thanks for this, it really works!
    I recently studied on a film making course, I wrote the screenplay for a short film as part of the course and was also the 'star' of the film.
    I was given a DVD of the film at the end of the course but didn't know how to copy it to my hard drive, at least not in Linux which I mostly use.
    The website in the link is my writing website, by the way.

4. Tony says:

Hola.
    ¡Pura vida! ¡Excelente!
    Muchas gracias por tu ayuda. Las instrucciones las da de manera precisa y sencilla.
    Nuevamente, muchísimas gracias.
    Tony

5. BJ says:

As others have said, thanks for the simple and quick instructions on how-to install Handbrake... Both Sourceforge's and the Handbrake homepage didn't make it very clear.

6. Ed Textor says:

Thank you!!!!!

7. Juergen says:

Thanks for these exceedingly helpful instructions!
    Juergen

8. nigel fletcher says:

Many thanks, great instructions, worked a charm
    Cheers

9. GelliJack says:

Thanks for both your time and talent

10. Chas says:

Thanks for the simple instructions on installing handbrake for Ubuntu/Mint 13!

11. Laurie says:

Thank you so much for these instructions! I'm running LinuxMint 13 and had tried other suggestions as to how to install HandBrake, but your instructions are the only ones that worked for me. Thanks again, Laurie