13 Comments

1. chris

You saved my bacon.. Two days wasted on elaborate and frustrating investigation as to why my contact 7 hidden variables were not working.. Thanks

• You're very welcome. :)

2. Sagar

Hi guyes ,
    i am useing the event manager plugin for events & i want use the that short code for my mobile website but wptouch not allow me to use plz help me .

i have made the changes in as mention on blog but it not reflected in my website . wp-content/themes/bauhaus/functions.php & paste above code .

3. Nikki

Thanks so much! Now I don't have to buy pro.

4. Nate

Hi Rochelle and Linerd,
    I have read the article and comments, and Im attempting to use the include command to allow my shortcodes.

With the latest free version of WPTouch (3.1.5), there seems to be no functions.php file in a deafult directory. So Im attempting to use root-functions.php in the directory: wptouch > themes > bauhaus

I've added the code:
    include( dirname(__FILE__) . '/../path-to/my-wp-theme/functions.php);

(changed the path location) but each time, it causes the site to go inaccessible and is only fixed when I remove the new code. Any advice, as the shortcodes are key in my site?

Thanks!!

Nate

5. Rochelle

I know I'm about three months late to the party here, but just as a heads up, I was able to accomplish this by just doing an include of my customized functions.php file within the default wptouch theme functions. My site relies heavily on shortcodes throughout, so I went into the functions file you pointed to and added this at line 3:

include( dirname(__FILE__) . '/../path-to/my-wp-theme/functions.php);

and it seems to work perfectly. Might save some time for others who use many shortcodes, but I'm a bit of a novice, so I don't know what this does in terms of efficiency.

Thanks so much for this post!

• Linerd

Thanks for your comment. It's funny, I was just wondering this morning if it would be simpler to call an include file rather than adding all the code.

I suspect that it's a little less efficient for the server, but if it is, it's probably not a significant hit.

6. Hi Linerd - we are using wptouch for our mobile version and are very close to having it completed although we are having a few issues - eg our login does not work plus we would like to add the ability to login with fb -- images post in thumbnail view but when clicked on they disappear, leave a reply not working as well as we need to,add a post function. I know this is off topic but was wondering if you had any suggestions. Please don't send me to support forum they have yet to reply :)
    Cheers,
    Lee

• Linerd

Lee, sorry I can't be of much help here. I'm a novice with WPtouch myself. I'll have to try leaving a comment on my own site. I haven't tested it.

As far as site administration goes, I recommend the WordPress app for Android or iOS. That's what I use. I'm using it right now to enter this reply.

Good luck with resolving your issues. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• Linerd

OK, comments work for me, but I'm not able to take advantage of the threaded comments. I can only add a regular new comment through WPtouch. I'm not sure what additional functionality WPtouch Pro offers, but it may be worth looking into. I have also played around with WordPress Mobile Pack a bit. It has a lot of options for the theme. Maybe it will better meet your needs.

7. Linerd, sorry I should have looked before commenting a few minutes ago but I did some searching and after landing on the shortcode api page for wordpress, I found a function that helped me:
    function caption_shortcode( $atts, $content = null ) {
    return '' . do_shortcode($content) . '';
    }

This may be helpful for some of your users if you want to add it to your post :) Thanks again for the example!!!

• Linerd

Thanks for the tip. I also use Contact Form 7 and it's working for me with the code listed above in my post. Perhaps there's something different in our themes that requires the extra code.

8. Mike

Thank you - great article! This really helped get my contact form cleaned up. One question, I have added your code and it renders correctly but within my custom shortcode is the shortcode for [contact-form-7] which I think is losing its ability to render correctly now. Any ideas how to modify the code above to allow for this? Thanks!